Early in 1929, after several fires in the area, some of the residents of the Long Green community began discussing the possibility of forming a local organization equipped to assist with the suppression of fires and other emergencies. At that time, the only help Long Green received was from the paid fire companies of Fullerton and Towson or the volunteer fire company in Cockeysville.
At a meeting of the Long Green Improvement Association, five members were appointed to take the necessary steps to form a fire company. They were: U. Grant Warfel, James M. Owings, George H. Schmidt, John F. Burke and C. Emory Yoder.
After several meetings of the committee and with assistance from the paid and volunteer fire departments, the ground work was laid. The incorporation papers had been drawn up by attorney J. Fletcher Gorsuch of Towson, naming the above committee as incorporators. A By-law Committee, Soliciting Committee and Equipment Committee were appointed.
The First Meeting
On February 25, 1930 the first meeting of the Long Green Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. was held in the Jr. U.U.A.M. Hall in Long Green. The following were taken from the minutes of that meeting.
“Selected to preside as officers for the first year: President, U. Grant Warfel; Vice-President, C. Emory Yoder; Recording Secretary, John F. Burke; Financial Secretary, Elmer Schmidt; Treasurer, George H. Schmidt.
On motion, all members of the Long Green Community Association became members of the Long Green Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.
The Solicitation Committee turned in $335.50 as donations from the residents of the area.
A motion was made to lease a part of the lower portion of C. Donald Mumma’s barn at a rental of $1.00 per year plus $0.75 per month for electricity. Sliding doors were to be installed and other alterations made to make it suitable for housing the apparatus.”
The First Fire Truck
Continued from the minutes of the first meeting: “The Equipment Committee reported that a 1917 Republic truck, was available from the Parkville Volunteer Fire Company, which had discontinued operation, for $200.00. The truck carried a 30 gallon soda and acid chemical tank, 100 foot of chemical hose, a 2-man hand operated water pump, 500 foot of 1 1/2 inch hose, ladders, axes, nozzles and other miscellaneous equipment. A motion was made to purchase the truck and store it in E. Walton Meyers’ garage for over-hauling and until regular quarters were available.”
The truck was received and put into service on May 15, 1931.
This truck received it’s first real test on August 29, 1931 when, with a truck from the Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Company, it pumped a 4,000 foot hose line from the branch on Manor Road north of Sweet Air to a house fire at Manor and Sweet Air Roads.
Dates in History
On March 10, 1931 the Ladies Auxiliary to the Long Green Volunteer Fire Company was formed with Mrs. Edith Prigel as President.
On November 12, 1934, having outgrown our basement quarters in the barn, a contract was signed with Jacob Ryer for a lot of ground on Long Green Road directly opposite our quarters.
On April 22, 1935 a contract was awarded to H. Royhan & Sons for the erection of a building on this lot. The building contained a double bay engine room, 25 X 50 feet and a combination kitchen and meeting room, 15 X 25 feet. Total cost of the lot and building was $3,750.00.
November 9, 1937 a contract was awarded for an International Darley truck to replace our original Republic, which had become obsolete. Cost, $2,776.00.
On October 9, 1939 a major improvement was made in our alarm system. A 7 1/2 H.P. siren was purchased and installed on the building and a telephone with three (3) extensions was installed. The extensions were placed at the J. F. Burke store, the J. D. Barnhart residence and the E. W. Meyers’ residence. Pinage rights were obtained from the C&P Telephone Co. with lines and siren starter buttons installed at each extension. This meant that a fire call could be taken at any of the three extensions and the siren started without delay.
On January 26, 1946 additional ground was purchased for a parking area.
On October 20, 1947 a contract was awarded for an International Howe tanker truck. This truck was equipped with a 500 G.P.M. pump, a 1,000 gallon booster tank, 500 feet of hose and the other necessary equipment. Cost, $7,747.00.
On January 26, 1953 a contract was awarded for an addition to be added to the building. The addition measured 25 X 40 feet. Restrooms and additional space for holding fundraising dinners were provided.
On March 5, 1956 a contract was awarded for a FWD truck to replace the 1931 American LaFrance. This truck was equipped with a 750 G.P.M. pump, a 500 gallon booster tank 1500 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose and the other necessary equipment. Cost, $14,350.00.
September 17, 1957 an additional lot of 2 3/4 acres was purchased from Edward hinder in the rear of our existing property. Cost of the lot, $7,700.00.
On June 5, 1963 the Schmidt blacksmith property, on the corner of Long Green and Manor Roads, was purchased and the building removed for better traffic conditions at the intersection.
December 9, 1963 a contract was awarded for the erection of a hose tower on the building. The tower would be capable of storing 5,000 feet of hose. Cost, $2,660.00.
March 9, 1964 a contract was awarded for an International 4 wheel drive brush and utility truck. This truck carried a 300 G.P.M. pump which could be used while the vehicle was in motion, a 300 gallon booster tank and the other equipment needed to extinguish field and woods fires and filling tank trucks from streams and ponds.
On August 8, 1966 a contract was awarded for the purchase of an Oren International truck. This truck was equipped with a 750 G.P.M. pump, a 1,000 gallon booster tank and the other necessary equipment. Cost, $24,575.00.
In November of 1968, after a long delay and several appeal hearings, zoning was granted for a new hall. The two story hall was to provide space in the upper hall for our fund raising suppers and the lower portion to be used as a fire station. However, due to financial constraints this project was never finished as intended. Only the lower hall was completed and it served as the dining hall. The upper hall remained unfinished for 31 years.
On December 31, 1969 the first activity, a New Year’s dance by the fire company, was held in the new hall.
On August 23, 1971 it was approved to establish a new class of membership for members 16 to 18 years of age; there being several young men in the community who desired to obtain membership.
On September 9, 1974 a by-laws change was approved to strike the word male and open membership to both men and women.
In 1984 the company purchased a Ford Grumman engine with a 1,000 G.P.M. pump and 750 gallon booster tank. The cost of the engine was $98,000.00. This engine became known as Engine 382.
On June 9,1990, while responding to a dwelling fire during a storm, engine 381 overturned at the intersection of Kanes Road and Manor Road. Fortunately, the crew sustained only minor injuries, but the engine was severely damaged and placed out of service. Engine 381 would not serve in Baltimore County again.
A new engine committee was formed and the Company immediately began plans to replace engine 381. The final recommendation to the Company was to purchase a pumper/tanker to better serve the needs of the community. In August of 1990, a contract was signed with Emergency One for the construction of the new pumper/tanker which was to be built to the Company’s specifications.
In 1991 an E-One, 2,000 gallon tanker/pumper was placed in service. Fitted with a 1,500 G.P.M. pump, 1000 feet of large diameter hose, a truck mounted deck gun and all the necessary equipment for setting up a portable water source, this pumper/tanker greatly enhanced our fire fighting capabilities and helped compensate for the lack of available water in our district. Cost, $278,000.
To increase our visibility within the community, and the county, the company moved to have the new engine painted green and the word “VOLUNTEER” printed boldly on both rear cab doors. The company equipped this truck with medical supplies and vehicle extrication tools.
In November of 1994, construction began on a new station to adjoin the hall at the Northeast corner. Construction was completed in three phases. First, grading of the new parking lot and surrounding grounds. Second was the erection of the new station and modifications to the existing hall. Finally, the old station was razed and a new front built onto the hall. Cost of construction was $563,000.